Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 16:29:36 EST

Kirk, Perry and Don, please see below...

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 13:45, Michael Krufky wrote:

me too. And I just rebuilt 2.6.14 w/o the cvs, did a cold boot, and
it works just fine except the modprobe stage was silent at the cli.
But my logs are being spammed with:

Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc02c5638
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote last message repeated 2 times
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 13:24:53 coyote last message repeated 131 times
Nov 29 13:24:53 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c

My hard drives have been power cycled more times in the last few days
playing with this than at any time in their history since I have a BIG
ups.

So I think I'm back to 2.6.14.3 for a while. Lemme know if and when
there is something else to test. Right now I'm vacuuming up water in
the basement for the first time in years, it rained HARD here earlier.

Gene-

There IS something more to test, unless I missed an email from you....

...and it's going to be very hard for people to follow your problem...
Please stick with your original thread to discuss your particular
problem.

Gah, I marked the thread as important, but then it jumped to the v4l
list from lkml and I got lost in the shuffle.

What happens when you install v4l-dvb cvs on top of 2.6.14.y ?

Already did that, blew up as usual, cold boot required.

(Gene's card uses Thomson DDT 7610 - we need to figure out what analog
demod is in play, here.)

Ok, here is an lsmod after doing the modprobe cx88-dvb:

[root@coyote linux-2.6.14]# lsmod |grep cx88
cx88_dvb 7428 0
cx8800 27276 0
v4l1_compat 13188 1 cx8800
v4l2_common 4864 1 cx8800
cx8802 9092 1 cx88_dvb
cx88xx 53024 3 cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802
i2c_algo_bit 8456 1 cx88xx
ir_common 7556 1 cx88xx
btcx_risc 3976 3 cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
tveeprom 12304 1 cx88xx
videodev 7296 2 cx8800,cx88xx
mt352 6148 1 cx88_dvb
or51132 9220 1 cx88_dvb
video_buf_dvb 4612 1 cx88_dvb
video_buf 17540 5
cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx,video_buf_dvb
lgdt330x 7580 1 cx88_dvb
cx22702 5892 1 cx88_dvb
dvb_pll 7812 3 cx88_dvb,or51132,cx22702
i2c_core 17808 12
cx88_dvb,cx88xx,i2c_algo_bit,tuner,tveeprom,mt352,or51132,lgdt330x,cx227
02,w83627hf,i2c_isa,i2c_nforce2
---------
And the log spamming originates and stops according to whether or not
I'm watching tv on it, and continues to do so when booted to 2.6.14.3. Once up and running, its not very often, but hundreds of lines of it
during the startup & a few during the shutdown (of tvtime)

Interesting to me is that I was under the impression that the nxt200x
module was the tuner driver, but its not anyplace in the list whether I
smunch it with the grep or not.

nxt200x is a dvb frontend driver -- it is NOT a tuner driver, although it does work with the tuner, but not on your board (pchdtv 3000). nxt200x is used by cx88-dvb for the ATi HDTV Wonder, and it's used by saa7134-dvb for the AVerTVHD A180. The nxt200x was not present in 2.6.14, although it IS present in 2.6.15 and v4l-dvb cvs. We know that this is not causing your trouble because Kirk Lapray has both the ATI HDTV Wonder AND pcHDTV 3000 installed on his system, and he says both are working properly.

However, I don't know if Kirk has tried 2.6.15-rc3 yet...

Kirk, do both cards work properly in both analog AND digital video? ...or were you only talking about digital? Kirk, I could really use your help in diagnosing the problem that Gene, Perry and Don are talking about. It looks like something in the 2.6.15 patchsets broke analog video on the pcHDTV 3000.... Would you kindly be able to test 2.6.15-rc3 on your hardware?

The logs do say its a Thompson 7610 tuner though.
-----------
Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
0x1fe
Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
----------

Now, I'm out of pocket till late this evening. I'll check in of course
when I get back. I'd like to get this resolved before I get stuck in
an airplane & shipped to upstate MI for a while. I'm gettin too old
for this back to work crap. But a $1k/week & expenses comes in handy
too. :)

Gene, Perry and Don -

I wish that we could resolve this with a -git bisection test... Unfortunately, we cannot do it this time, as the VM_RESERVED memory problems existed throughout 2.6.15 development.

All I can think of doing is telling you to start reverting cx88 / tuner related v4l patches, but that is very tedious....

Another idea is to try installing cvs again on top of your kernel, but with each unsuccessful checkout, back out cvs a few days, using the -D option.....

If you need better details on how to do this, let me know... I'll try to write something up.

-Mike