Re: Question: madvise(DONT_SYNC)

From: Nix
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 11:50:56 EST

On 28 Nov 2005, Rob Landley whispered secretively:
> I can change the default to /dev/pts (which is tmpfs with the sticky bit on
> Fedora Core 4, Ubuntu, and Gentoo.

Um, you mean /dev/shm, right?

> But which has nothing mounted on it and
> isn't even world writable on the only x86-64 system I currently have access

Well, shm_open() and friends just won't work on that system (the /dev/shm path
is hardwired into glibc; I guess the PLD people might have hacked glibc to
change that path, but that seems peculiar).

Distro bug.

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell