Re: psmouse.c in Kernel fails but succeeds as Module

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 18:59:07 EST

On 11/28/05, jt <jt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, when I compile Kernel with
>
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m

> the Alps GlidePoint is detected thus
>

> I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=0000
> N: Name="PS/2 Mouse"
> P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input1
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event3
> B: EV=7
> B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> B: REL=3
>
> I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=7321
> N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
> H: Handlers=mouse2 event4
> B: EV=f
> B: KEY=420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> B: REL=3
> B: ABS=1000003
>
> and GlidePoint Works fine in Console Mode and X etc.

This is most likely USB legacy emulation screws up touchpad detection.
If you boot with "usb-handoff" on the kernel command line it shoudl
detect ALPS even if psmouse is built-in and not a module.

One of these days we will turn it on by default...

> I have my work around for the problem, but wondered if
> someone like Dimitry T. would like me to perform a little
> debugging and send them the output so others wont have
> to face this problem.

Would be easier if you CC me if you want me to see your message faster ;)

--
Dmitry