Re: VESA fb console in 2.6.15

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 14:13:12 EST

Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've noticed in several versions of 2.6.15 that VESA fb console
seems completely broken : it draws screen in several very slow
steps, making the whole display almos unusable. And it crashes
*very* often, for example when switching to X. The computer is
complety locked, and doesn't even respond to SysRQ.
I use vga=0x31B as boot param.

* "Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@xxxxxxxxx> [051122 01:28]:

Try booting with:
vga=0x31b video=vesafb:mtrr:3

Thanks, this works fine with this param and also without any video=
param. I had a default video=vesafb:mtrr:2 in my grub conf file because
of mtrr problems a few kernel versions earlier (had been discussed
extensively on this list). This setting doesn't work well in 2.6.15.

Does 2.6.15-rc? work OK without any special boot options? (We want it to..)

From what I understand, before this, he needs video=vesafb:mtrr:2. (Because
his machine defaults to write-back mtrr instead of write-combining). Now it
works without any special boot options because I made vesafb default to
nomtrr because of problems like this and conflicts with X/DRI.

Thank you, I bet this fixes a problem I was having with a system which sometimes came up with video problems unless I used an mtrr parameter.
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)