Re: umount

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 20:41:54 EST

On 11/27/05, Grant Coady <grant_lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It leaves me with a little distrust of linux' handling of non-locked
> removable media (as opposed to lockable media like a zipdisk or cdrom).
>
> Grant.

Under Windows, if a 1394 drive is unplugged without unmounting, it you
get a pop up dialog on screen telling you that data may be lost, etc.
while under any of the main environments I've tried under Linux
(Gnome, KDE, fluxbox) there are no such messages to the user. I have
not investigated log files very deeply, other than to say that dmesg
will show the drive going away but doesn't say it was a problem.

I realize it's probably 100x more difficult to do this under Linux, at
least at the gui level, but I agree with your main point that my trust
factor is just a bit lower here.

- Mark