Re: Alternatives to serial console for oops.

From: Michael Frank
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 15:06:42 EST

On Sunday 27 November 2005 16:52, James Courtier-Dutton
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to view the oops that are normally output on the
> serial port of the PC. The problem I have, is that my PC
> does not have a serial port. Are there any alternatives
> for getting that vital oops from the kernel just as it
> crashes apart from the serial console. Could I get it to
> use some other interface? e.g. Network interface.
> Parallel port is also not an option.
>
> James

I use Netconsole for routine monitoring.

See Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

Example for kernel command line
netconsole=1024@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/eth0,4450@xxxxxxxxxxx/00:00:0E:5F:15:64

You don't want to hassle with netcat.

Many sysloggers can log udp

I use syslog-ng. Excerpts from configuration:

source netlog {
udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(4450));
};

destination netlog