Re: capturing oopses

From: Ville Herva
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 07:30:09 EST

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:10:59AM +0100, you [Bodo Eggert] wrote:

> If it's a 640 pixel width image and you've got the right font loaded, the
> VGA function 0x08 will get you the character at the current cursor position.
> It's also used by PRTSCR, so pressing it in a DOS viewer may dump the text
> to LPT1. If you redirected it to a serial console, you might also catch it.
> (I never tried).

I meant that I have the image as a PNG (whatever), captured from the display
of the remote control program (HP RILOE, VMWare GSX Console, VNC, whatever).
I'm aware that the VGA display memory holds the characters (in addition to
pixels) in text mode, but the actual machine may be dead at this point - OS
crash, hw failure, whatever. The oops output is on the screen - just not in
palatible text format.

-- v --

v@xxxxxx