Re: linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 permissions

From: David Brown
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 20:46:55 EST

> Sure enough, I can confirm this.
>
> I don't seem to have to provide --no-same-permissions to tar to get umask to
> affect the permissions of extracted files, so my files are fine on-disc.

yeah it's a pretty easy fix on the system and it's a pretty easy fix
for the mirror, just needs to happen.

> What disturbs me more is the number of people using insecure umasks before
> checking files in! When does a text file really want to be a+w?

agreed many people compile and install their own kernels without using
their distros package manager to do it, I've sent emails to my distro
about the permissions problem with that tarball.

- David Brown