Re: linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 permissions

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 18:45:47 EST

On Saturday 26 November 2005 21:58, David Brown wrote:
> I wasn't sure where to send this but here goes.
>
> Seems that many of the source files in the linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 have
> global read/write permissions.
> Are the permissions supposed to be this way now?
> If not, could this be fixed soon?
> if so, could you point me to a url that explains why.

David, it'd probably help if you listed all of the affected files, then people
can explain themselves and/or correct the permissions.

I personally think that your point is valid and security should be considered
when packing the kernel sources. It might even be possible for Linus's
tarball script to remove global write permissions.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.