Re: pivot_root broken in 2.6.15-rc1-mm2

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 08:22:42 EST

On Friday 25 November 2005 05:52, Nix wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2005, Rob Landley gibbered uncontrollably:
> > Rather than unmounting rootfs, it deletes everything out of it to free up
> > the space. (It basically does the functional equivalent of "find / -xdev
> > | xargs rm -rf"
>
> Er, find / -xdev | xargs rm -f, I hope.

Yeah. :)

> (rm won't respect the -xdev you gave to find, and, well, if your new root
> is mounted at all, you're dead :) )

It's C code, not shell, so that was off the top of my head. :)

And that, in fact, is one of the big reasons that there's a utility for it:
not accidentally deleting anything out of your root partition is kind of
important.

(Another is that calling chroot and such after deleting their binaries out of
initramfs but before the paths are adjusted so that the ones in the new root
can find their shared libraries is a bit of a headache. It's a lot easier to
just have it all in one binary that's already loaded everything it needs and
frees its memory on exec.)

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.