defective RAM: corrupted ext3 FS. How to identify corrupted files/directories?

From: jerome lacoste
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 05:33:47 EST

Hi.

My RAM died, and it corrupted my file system. It seems like this
machine just wants to die... [1]

After removing the faulty RAM, I can boot. I made extensive memtest86+ tests.
I now have my home partition mounted as read-only because of said corruption.

I see a bunch of "ext3_readdir: directory xxxx contains a hole at
offset xxxxx" when I try to access some parts of my disk.

I postponed fscking the FS until I have identified the faulty data.

I was thinking of doing a rsync --dry-run against a known working
backup and check the logs. Any better idea? Is there a way to convert
the directory IDs into file paths?

I have around 500 000 files on that partition. It takes time checking them all.

Cheers,

Jerome

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/2/4/51