Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 16:02:33 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Since git-pack-objects has to generate the pack _anyway_, it might as well
> save it away when it does - so that if you have lots of people doing
> clones or pulling, you'd only need to run it once for a particular set of
> objects, and you'd not have to do any extra (or unnecessary) maintenance.

Caching itself is relatively easy (just implement an equivalent
of tee inside pack-objects ourselves). More problematic is
pruning. We could do it from cron based on atime _if_ the
filesystem is not mounted noatime but without arranging a
reasonably way for automated pruning this would become a disk
hog and extra maintenance burden, which is why I did not
implement the dynamic caching part in the initial round.

Since git-daemon would be the primary user of pack-cache/, this
implies a repository writable by git-daemon user on public
machine (not master), which is an extra thing to note.