Re: [patch] SMP alternatives

From: thockin
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 14:14:35 EST

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:58:52AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > That's supposed to be done by hardware, no?
> > At least the K8 has a hardware scrubber (although it's not always enabled)
>
> Recent good implementations like the Opteron will do it for you.
> Older or cheaper memory controllers will not.

Beware of errata - there's at leats one errata on Opteron which forces you
to choose between x4 (chipkill) ECC and scrubber. One or the other, but
not both. There are plenty of errata on the scrubber alone. Worse, if my
(brain)memory is correct, without the scrubber, correctable errors are
corrected on the fly, but never written back to DRAM.