Re: [patch] SMP alternatives

From: linux
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 12:48:34 EST

> I suspect that with MAP_SHARED + PROT_WRITE being pretty uncommon anyway,
> we can probably find trivial patterns in the kernel. Like only one process
> holding that file open - which is what you get with things that use mmap()
> to write a new file (I think "ld" used to have a config option to write
> files that way, for example).

Just a bit of practical experience: I use mmap() to write data a LOT,
because msync(MS_ASYNC) is the most portable way to do an async write.

There are two applications. First, helping the OS not fill up with
dirty pages. It's basically a way of saying "this page is not going to
be dirtied again for a long time".

Secondly, to reduce the latency of synchronous writes. If I need to
log operations durably, it helps to

1) fill the log pages, using MS_ASYNC as soon as the page is full
2) when committing a batch, use MS_SYNC to force data to disk
3) report batch successfully committed to stable storage

The aio_ routines are less widely supported some implementations have
very high overhead. They would allow me to keep working while a commit
is in progress, but the above is simple and reduces the burstiness of
I/O considerably.