Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 12:02:13 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:

Got it, building src tree now, config'd & building.

And, I unchecked everything but what I need to run this card (I think,
whatdoIknow) and got this at depmod time:
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git4/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol mt352_attach
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git4/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol nxt200x_attach
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git4/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol mt352_write
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git4/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol lgdt330x_attach
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git4/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol cx22702_attach

Maybe somebody can take the time to tell me what I do need to run a
pcHDTV-3000 in both ntsc and atsc modes using this newer code?
I was under the impression I needed the cx88 stuffs, ORV51132 (for
atsc) and nxt2002(for ntsc), but now we have lots of other dependencies
out the wazoo. Please clarify.

Gene-

These other dependencies have always been there, except that nxt200x and lgdt330x are relatively new frontends.

The difference is that a new Kconfig / Makefile feature is allowing us to only select the specific frontend needed by your hardware... Previously, all frontend support was forced to be built-in.

You and Adrian have clearly demonstrated that this frontend selection capability isn't working properly. I think I will send Linus a patch to restore previous functionality, forcing all frontends to be built... Then I will resubmit a patch to Andrew that will re-enable this frontend selection support, and I'll ask him to hold it in -mm until we can work out the bugs.

The problem is that you are selecting cx88-dvb to be built-in to the kernel (not as a module) , but the frontends are being built as modules only. This is a problem.

You can make it all work, if you select the option to build support for ALL FRONTENDS (this is the same as the older functionality)... This option was selected by default in menuconfig. ... If you do not want to have all frontends supported, then you should be fine if you recompile the kernel again, but be sure to compile cx88 and cx88-dvb as MODULES (m) ... and not in-kernel (y)

Regards,

Michael Krufky