Re: Sub jiffy delay?

From: Rick Niles
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 10:11:31 EST

Well, I think the best answer for a distribution kernel without making a any patches or rebuilding anything is to use the "register_rtc()" hook in the rtc driver. I tried it and it works really well. This way my device driver can drop into a Fedora system without the user having to rebuild anything (other than my driver).

If I want to get fancy I could check to see if IRQ 8 is taken and use it directly if it's not, i.e. the RTC driver isn't loaded. If IRQ 8 is taken, check for the RTC driver and then use that via register_rtc(). In the unlikely event that IRQ 8 is taken and it's not by the RTC driver, then I guess the user's out of luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've all been good, but I'm trying avoid steep requirements on usage of this driver.

Rick Niles.