Re: 2.6.14-rt4: via DRM errors

From: Thomas Hellström
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 04:52:21 EST

Hi

> I noticed these in dmesg after running "glxgears":
>
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_pci_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_pci_cmdbuffer called without lock held
> [drm:via_cmdbuffer] *ERROR* via_cmdbuffer called without lock held
>
> I was able to intermittently reproduce the messages by launching
> glxgears and moving the window around.
>
> Lee

I made a fix to the locking code in main drm a couple of months ago.

The X server tries to get the DRM_QUIESCENT lock, but when the wait was
interrupted by a signal (like when you move a window around), the locking
function returned without error. This made the X server release other
clients' locks.

This does affect all drivers with a quiescent() function. Not only via.

But it looks like this fix never made it into the kernel source?
Dave?

/Thomas