Re: Billionton bluetooth CF card: performance is 10KB/sec

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 05:20:43 EST

Hi!

> > > so you say that the Nokia 6230 has PAN Profile support and you don't
> > > need any PPP crap to get Internet access? This would be the first phone
> > > I have seen so far.
> >
> > No, sorry, that was over ppp over rfcomm. With MSI dongle, I get
> > 25KB/sec with n6230. With bluetooth CF card, I only get 10KB/sec.
>
> show me the "hcitool info ..." for the phone.

Sorry, I do not have it here just now. Should be able to get it in a
few days.

> > > The transmit timeouts shouldn't be there. The question is now which side
> > > is at fault. The host or the phone?
> >
> > This is against second linux box... Can't be the phone.
>
> >From Linux to Linux you can get something around 80KB/sec. Do you have
> any other USB dongle to test this against, because I think the PCMCIA
> card is the problematic part here.

I agree that pcmcia card is problematic. No, I do not have any other
usb dongles, but...

billionton.n6230: 10KB/sec (ppp over rfcomm)
MSI..n6230: 25KB/sec (ppp over rfcomm)
MSI..billionton: 10KB/sec (bnetp)

...pretty much tells the story. I could do some obex transfers against
k700 to test it a bit more.

> If you go over RFCOMM to the phone you will almost never reach the full
> speed, because most RFCOMM implementation on the phones are not really
> good. The PPP is eating the rest of the bandwidth.

Fortunately edge has limit of 25KB/sec or something like that, and
bluetooth has 100KB/sec limit, so it is fast enough even with some
added overhead.
Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!