System limits on System V IPC methods

From: Lasse Bigum
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 06:40:50 EST

Hello,

First off, a short introduction to us and the work we intend to do.
We are a group of students. As part of our project this semester, we are
investigating ways of implementing secure IPC for Linux.

We have found that a way of limiting the number of shared memory
segments that a process can allocate can be specified by adjusting
SHMSEG. This is part of the System V IPC specs.
However, it seems that this is not implemented in Linux, but there are
traces of it to be found around in the kernel.

Are there any specific reasons that this is not implemented yet, or is
it just a matter of getting someone to volunteer to do so? If the latter
is the case, we would like to give it a shot.

Regards,
Lasse Bigum