Re: When is OSS going to go?

From: Nix
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 12:56:53 EST

On 18 Oct 2005, Bill Davidsen suggested tentatively:
> John Richard Moser wrote:
>> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
>> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
>> don't work right in ASLA?
>>
> This has been discussed before, but the major argument is that if
> Linux starts dropping functional features there is no longer even a
> pretense of this kernel line being stable.

The dropping of e.g. devfs has already knocked that idea on the head;
functional features are being removed as well as added.

(And as ALSA can emulate the useful parts of OSS, when all OSS cards are
supported by ALSA, there won't be any function loss anyway.)

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred