Reiser4 lockups (no oops)

From: Chris Boot
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 12:08:31 EST

Hi all,

I've been using Reiser4 on a couple of filesystems to give it a shot, and although it has been working fine for a while I've noticed that newer versions of the patch cause lockups on my machine. It all started when I upgraded to the reiser4-for-2.6.13-1.patch.gz from reiser4-for-2.6.12-3.patch.gz, which works fine. I've also tested a vanilla 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 which has the same symptoms.

I don't get any OOPSes or BUGs or anything, not on my screen nor on my serial console (although I'm not sure I have this working right--I only seem to get kernel boot messages). Machine replies to pings but I can't SSH, and the watchdog doesn't kick in (hangcheck or w83627hf_wdt) so I only notice it's crashed when I wake up in the morning. The crashes seem most lilkely to occur in periods of heavy I/O -- large Samba file transfers or updatdb do the trick.

Anything I can do to try and track down the issue?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Boot