Re: multiple independent keyboard kernel support

From: Zoltan Szecsei
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 11:01:41 EST

Hi Helga (et al),

I'm just back on this issue and am trying to make changes to the basic xorg.conf without yet connecting the 2nd VGA,Kyb & mouse.

I thought if I set up a template for the config then it would be easier to copy & make changes for when I connect the 2nd KVM devices.

I'm having a problem with the "Dev Phys" option as I keep getting:
(EE) Generic Keyboard: cannot register with evdev brain
No core keyboard.

(man xorg.conf does not show "Dev Phys" - should it not be "Device" ??

The real issue is that I cannot find the keyboard device in /dev/input (Ubuntu 5.04 )
In /dev/input I only have 6 devices: event0, 1 and 2; mice, mouse0 and ts0

Are you able to tell me what parameter to put in this Option "Dev Phys" ?

TIA,
Zoltan

Helge Hafting wrote:

xorg from debian testing or from ubuntu already support multiple
independent keyboards. I'm using that right now for my
two-user single-pc setup.

Each independent xserver have a section like this in the xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "Protocol" "evdev"
Option "Dev Phys" "isa0060/serio0/input0"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "no"