Re: large files unnecessary trashing filesystem cache?

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 16:59:12 EST

Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 22:01 +0200, Guido Fiala wrote:

[large files trash cache]

> Is there a reason why those applications couldn't use O_DIRECT ?

The cache trashing will affect all programs handling large files:

mkisofs * > iso
dd < /dev/hdx42 | gzip > imagefile
perl -pe's/filenamea/filenameb/' < iso | cdrecord - # <- never tried

Changing a few programs will only partly cover the problems.

I guess the solution would be using random cache eviction rather than
a FIFO. I never took a look the cache mechanism, so I may very well be
wrong here.
--
Ich danke GMX dafür, die Verwendung meiner Adressen mittels per SPF
verbreiteten Lügen zu sabotieren.