Re: file system block size

From: Bob Copeland
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 10:12:27 EST

> Indeed, it makes everything harder. Have a look at ntfs in the kernel
> which has to cope with file system block sizes between 512 bytes and
> several hundred kiB (at least they are in powers of two thank
> goodness...). You end up not being able to use a lot of generic
> functions as you for example need to lock multiple pages which needs to
> be ordered correctly, etc... If you look at the latest -mm kernel, the
> ntfs driver there has file write(2) support for any cluster size and you
> will see an example of the multiple page locking problem solution there.

Any chance this will make it into common code? I also need it for my
filesystem driver (here: http://bobcopeland.com/karma/). So far I've
only done read side which is not too bad, but as you say writing makes
things complicated.

That, and the extent-supporting mpage_readpages would make me a happy person.

-Bob