Re: Why do we need libata to access SATA host controller low level device drivers?

From: Deven Balani
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 09:14:44 EST

> The most appropriate answer is: "cause you don't want to reinvent the
> wheel". In order to get full SATA support, you only need to write a
> host driver, libata takes care of the gory details.
Thanks Erik for that useful suggestion.

> You don't want to use a 2.4 kernel on ARM, especially not when you're
> using new hardware. 2.4 is development is dead, everybody has moved to
> 2.6.
Since we already have Linux Kernel 2.4 based drivers for all the other
devices present on our ARM 920TDMI based chipset which we cannot
change. The SATA driver which I'm going to write has to be based on
Kernel 2.4.25. Through backported patches I have to make Kernel 2.4.25
to support our new SATA driver and as well our existing device
drivers.

Please do let me now if you have any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks:-),
Deven