RE: 2.6.14-rc4-mm1, acpi, irq problems, hdc (cdrom) dead

From: Brown, Len
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 17:41:47 EST

>Since some kernel revisions (hard to tell since when, I don't use cdrom
>very often), the cdrom hdc is not working any more:
>
>vmunix: hdc: lost interrupt

> 2.6.14-rc4-mm1

Can you try vanilla 2.6.14?

If 2.6.14 works, then does 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 with git-acpi.patch backed out work better?:
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.14-rc4/2.6.14-rc4-mm1/broken-out/git-acpi.patch

If 2.6.14 fails, does 2.6.13 work better?

> Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.14-rc4-mm1 ro root=303 lapic
> Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
> Found and enabled local APIC!

forcing the LAPIC to be enabled when the BIOS didn't enable it
is risky -- you're asserting that you know more
about the hardware than the BIOS writer knew.

Do you still have the issue without the "lapic" boot option?

> ACPI-0284: *** Info: Table [DSDT] replaced by host OS

You're somewhat on your own here since you've replaced the OEM's firmware.
Do you still have the issue without replacing the BIOS?

cheers,
-Len