Re: [Patch 2/3] Export get_one_pte_map.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 15:58:28 EST

Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Robin Holt wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:20:34AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > >
> > > The stuff in -mm is what is going to be in .15, so you have to work off
> > > of that patchset if you wish to have something for .15.
>
> The stuff in -mm is a best guess at what's going to be in 2.6.15,
> but it's far from exact and certain.
>
> > Is everything in the mm/ directory from the -mm tree going into .15 or
> > is there a planned subset? What should I develop against to help ensure
> > I match up with the community?
>
> That's a question for Andrew (added to CC in case he's not receiving
> enough copies of this mail ;-), and it's too soon to tell - changes
> which have only just been exposed in 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 are not yet
> mature enough for a judgement.
>
> I've still got stuff to come, to make full sense of what's already in:
> if I were Andrew, given the faster releases we're going for now, I'd
> currently be in some doubt about whether to push that for 2.6.15.

Ther are nearly 100 mm patches in -mm. I need to do a round of discussion
with the originators to work out what's suitable for 2.6.15. For "Hugh
stuff" I'm thinking maybe the first batch
(mm-hugetlb-truncation-fixes.patch to mm-m68k-kill-stram-swap.patch) and
not the second batch. But we need to think about it.

> Perhaps he'll be more comfortable with yours, feel it's the right
> way to go, and want to put it ahead of what's presently in -mm.
> Or perhaps not.

The mspec driver? That work should be based on the mm patches in rc4-mm1,
I guess. Its impact on core mm is small, so we should be able to get it
into 2.6.15.