Re: x86_64: 2.6.14-rc4 swiotlb broken

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 11:43:14 EST

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

> That's completely new terminology. We always called all of ZONE_NORMAL low
> memory.

We call it "low" memory because it happens to have "low" addresses. In
other words, it's not "terminology", it's "English".

None of the allocators that allocate stuff in ZONE_NORMAL is called "low"
normally. It's _normal_ memory. It's not ZONE_LOW.

We don't say "kmalloc_low()". We say "kmalloc()".

A function that is called "xyz_low()" means something else than normal to
me. If it was normal memory, we'd call it just "xyz()". And if it did high
memory, we'd call it "xyz_highmem()" (or, preferably, we'd just have a
generic function that accepted GFP_HIGHMEM as a parameter).

Linus