[CHECKER] buffer overflows in net/core/filter.c?

From: Dawson Engler
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 04:56:29 EST

Hi,

it appears that bad filters in net/core/filter.c can read/write arbitrary
kernel memory.

Given a filter created via:

struct sock_filter s[2];
memset(s, 0, sizeof s);

s[0].code = BPF_LD|BPF_B|BPF_ABS;
s[0].k = 0x7fffffffUL;
s[1].code = BPF_RET;
s[1].k = 0xfffffff0UL;

or:

s[0].code = BPF_LD|BPF_B|BPF_IND;
s[0].k = 0x7fffffffUL;
s[1].code = BPF_RET;
s[1].k = 0xfffffff0UL;

or

s[0].code = BPF_LD|BPF_H|BPF_IND;
s[0].k = 0x7ffffffeUL;
s[1].code = BPF_B|BPF_RET;
s[1].k = 0xfffffff0UL;

or

s[0].code = BPF_LD|BPF_H|BPF_IND;
s[0].k = 0x7ffffffeUL;
s[1].code = BPF_B|BPF_RET;
s[1].k = 0xfffffff0UL;

These pass check filter calls:

sk_chk_filter(s, 2)

But then blow up severely after calling:

static inline void *skb_header_pointer(const struct sk_buff *skb, int offset,
int len, void *buffer)
{
int hlen = skb_headlen(skb);

which increments the data pointer:

if (offset + len <= hlen)
return skb->data + offset;

but does not check if (offset+len) could overflow.

Something gross along the lines of:

if((offset + len) < offset) {
printf("ERROR: hit overflow!\n");
return NULL;
}

seems to fix the problem, but most likely filter.c should do it.

If anyone could confirm or refute these I'd appreciate it. [We've been
developing a tool to automatically generate test cases by running code
partially symbolically and these were some of first errors it flagged.]

Dawson