Re: [howto] Kernel hacker's guide to git, updated

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 19:22:30 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. I just updated the KHGtG with the
feedback I received. Go to

http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

and click reload. Continued criticism^H^H^Hcomments welcome!

- To know the current branch, "git branch" is enough (the one '*'-ed)

Click reload, this is already mentioned.

- rsync(1) a repository is dangerous, it might catch it in the middle of
a update and give you an incomplete/messed up copy. Repeat rsync until no
change, perhaps?

Usually that's just unlucky. I have caught kernel.org in the middle of a sync once, maybe twice.

- I understand "git checkout -f" blows away any local changes, no questions
asked. Not very nice to suggest that to a newbie...

I constantly run into problems if I -do not- use the "-f" flag. I habitually use it at all times, now.

Thanks,

Jeff