Re: kernel cross-toolchain (Gentoo)

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 17:18:19 EST

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:31:13PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:55:50PM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:05:03PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> > > Umm... Is crossdev toolchain with target==host the same as native one?
> >
> > Not sure what do you mean... Native gcc here is 3.3.6.
> >
> > # crossdev -p -v -s1 -t i686-unknown-linux-gnu
> >
> > will install binutils-2.16.1 and gcc-3.4.4.
>
> ... then we have a problem. The point is to get build coverage equivalent
> to native builds. Cross-toolchain out of sync with native one means PITA
> in that respect.

[if I don't understand something ameba can understand, I preventively
apologize and ask to explain.]

1) supported compilers are (effectively?):
2.95.3 + %z patch, 3.3.*, 3.4.*, 4.0.1+.
2) build breakage on one of supported compilers is supposed to be
reported and fixed.
3) I can easily install gcc 3.4 with one "emerge" invocation. No problem
at all. After reading some docs to 4.0.$WHATEVER.
4) arm (other archs?) people mostly use cross-compilers (don't have rmk
quote handy).

At this point I do not understand fundamental difference of "native
build" from cross build. Consequently I do not understand a problem with
native toolchains being different from cross ones. In my case, it is
still FSF GCC, no stack protection, ... patches.

Even more: you (and, to some extent, me), being a cross-compile farmer,
can't test if

CONFIG_S390=y
CONFIG_S390X=n
CONFIG_CHECK_STACK=n (made up example, pick another config if
you _can_ test)

boots and works fine. All you can do is to test is a config builds OK,
leaving the rest to folks who have the hardware.

Again, if I don't understand something very obvious, please, explain.