Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Luben Tuikov
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 17:14:34 EST

On 09/30/05 17:31, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> Jeff Garzik et. al. seem to think that they are necessary, and I

I've been contending this since before Jeff started work on
libata. But none of the ideas: 64 bit LUN, HCIL removal, etc.,
were accepted with "submit a patch".

> So you're saying fixing the current SCSI subsystem once *now* costs
> more than applying all *future* SCSI fixes to _two_ SCSI subsystems,
> handling bug reports for _two_ SCSI subsystems, etc.

I'm saying that the current "old" one is already obsolete,
when all you have is a SAS chip on your mainboard.

All you need is a small, tiny, fast, slim SCSI Core.

>>>s/Politics.*//g; I hate politics. Keep it off this list.
>>
>>Me too, but we are idealists. Politics is an integral part of life.
>

> Politics are not an integral part of productive technical
> discussions, though. If you discuss technical topics and provide
> realistic technical descriptions, examples, reasons, code, etc, then
> politics tends not to matter in the discussion, and we're all happier
> people.

Yes, please re-read this thread, and open and read all the
references I've included to SAM, SPC, SAS and SAT of T10.org.

Politics: "Nah, whatever you say, specs are *crap* and we'll
do it our way. We are not interested in your way, even if it
were better. Oh, and BTW, REQUEST SENSE clears ACA and LUN
is a u64."

See?
Luben