Re: [howto] Kernel hacker's guide to git, updated

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 13:14:53 EST

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> I suspect the version Linus posted has a funny interaction with
> 'git-pull'; 'git pull --tags' by mistake, or intentionally to
> file a bug report to annoy me ;-), would create an Octopus out
> of those tags, if I am not mistaken.

Hey, even more impressive is "git pull --all", which will happily try to
create an octopus of every single ref available at the other end.

Now, I think that octopus merges in _general_ are likely to be driver
error, and that it might make sense to have a separate flag to enable
them in the first place. That would solve the confusion..

So then you could do

git pull --all --octopus xyzzy

if you _really_ meant to do that.

Linus