Re: [howto] Kernel hacker's guide to git, updated

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 19:49:13 EST

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Can I get a URL for the source for your editor? The one on kernel.org
> doesn't compile, and probably hasn't for a long time.

Oh, it compiles with trivial modifications. Not cleanly, but it works.

I put my git repo on

kernel.org:/pub/software/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git

but it will take a moment to mirror out.

The "readme" says non-commercial only, but I asked Daniel Lawrence if it
was ok to include it in commercial distributions a long time ago, and he
said yes. Sadly, I've lost that email, so I don't have any paper trail for
that. So you should consider the readme binding.

> [Yes, there is some (perverse) fun in telling people you use the very same
> editor than Linus Torvalds :-]>

The thing is, it's not a wonderful editor. It's small, and good enough,
but I really wished somebody wrote something that handled UTF-8, for
example. But I've got the keybindings hardcoded in my spine, so I can't
ever change.

Linus