Re: [ANNOUNCE] Framework for automatic Configuration of a Kernel

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 03:42:34 EST

Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
> I might be wrong, but I don't think that there is any other way to get
> hardware information but through the /proc or /sys interface.
>
> Can somebody comment on this ?

dmidecode will give you some hardware information on some systems.

for example my dell latitude c600 laptop the bios claims to support:
PCI is supported
PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
PNP is supported
APM is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
Boot from PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
3.5"/720 KB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
Serial services are supported (int 14h)
Printer services are supported (int 17h)
CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
AGP is supported
LS-120 boot is supported
ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported
Smart battery is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported

and the chipsets might include support for hardware that
is left dead. so it is nice to see which connectors the
mainboard has. dmidecode for example tells me:
Handle 0x0800
DMI type 8, 9 bytes.
Port Connector Information
Internal Reference Designator: PARALLEL
Internal Connector Type: None
External Reference Designator: Not Specified
External Connector Type: DB-25 female
Port Type: Parallel Port PS/2
Handle 0x0801
DMI type 8, 9 bytes.
Port Connector Information
Internal Reference Designator: SERIAL1
Internal Connector Type: None
External Reference Designator: Not Specified
External Connector Type: DB-9 male
Port Type: Serial Port 16550A Compatible

i.e. I have a serial and parallel connector. even more interesting
is:
Handle 0x0809
DMI type 8, 9 bytes.
Port Connector Information
Internal Reference Designator: IrDA
Internal Connector Type: None
External Reference Designator: Not Specified
External Connector Type: Infrared
Port Type: Other

because irda hides behind a fake serial port, if I understand
things right, so now you know the first serial port is real,
the second not, but an irda port is missing.

also dmidecode has details on the cpu.

I hope that information helps? good luck!

Regards, Andreas