Re: [patch 0/4] ide: Break ide_lock to per-hwgroup lock

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 08:37:02 EST

On 9/7/05, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07 2005, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
> > >
> > > Curious, what is the point of this?
> > >

> > On smp machines with multiple ide interfaces, we take per-group lock instead
> > of a global lock, there by breaking the lock to per-irq hwgroups.
>
> I realize the theory behind breaking up locks, I'm just wondering about
> this specific case. Please show actual contention data promoting this
> specific case, we don't break up locks "just because".
>
> I'm asking because I've never heard anyone complain about IDE lock
> contention and a proper patch usually comes with analysis of why it is
> needed.

Since ide_lock spinlock is used for all drives as queue lock and for all
controllers as IDE lock I guess that with multiple controllers there is a lot
contention on it...

Breaking ide_lock is fine with me however seeing numbers would
greatly help in getting wider acceptance for this change, Ravikiran?

Bartlomiej