Re: PROBLEM: Incorrect RAM Detected at kernel init

From: Douglas McNaught
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 18:37:42 EST

"Terry" <tmacmill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The kernel appears to compile perfectly, installs fine, but after reboot it
> is only reporting 16M of RAM. I have tried with and without the mem=768M

I've seen this happen with BIOSes of your vintage when there's a
"memory hole at 16M" turned on--the kernel doesn't see anything beyond
it. See if you can get into the Setup program and turn that off.

Since earlier kernels work, the later kernels are probably trusting
the e820 tables which may not be set up properly...

[Not that I know that much about this stuff]

-Doug