Re: [patch] libata passthrough - return register data from HDIO_*commands

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 17:57:02 EST

Jon Escombe wrote:

Here is a first attempt at a patch to return register data from the libata passthrough HDIO ioctl handlers, I needed this as the ATA 'unload immediate' command returns the success in the lbal register. This patch applies on top of 2.6.12 and Jeffs 2.6.12-git4-passthru1.patch. (Apologies, but Thunderbird appears to have replaced the tabs with spaces).

One oddity is that the sr_result field is correctly being set in ata_gen_ata_desc_sense(), however the high word is different when we're back in the ioctl hander. I've coded round this for now by only checking the low word, but this needs more investigation.

Jeff, could this functionality be incorporated into the pasthrough patch when complete?

I'd failed to realise that scsi_finish_command() sets the high byte of the result field to DRIVER_SENSE when there is sense data. Patch updated to reflect this...

Haven't had any feedback on the patch itself - but this now does what I wanted it do to. (I can't find a way to make Thunderbird retain tabs in the message body, so sending as an attachment).

Patch seems sane at first glance. I'll look over it in depth this week.

Jeff