Re: [rfc][patch] API for timer hooks

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 12:07:37 EST

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 20:59 +0400, Stas Sergeev wrote:
> The only limitation would be that when the
> speaker driver is enabled in the config,
> the ability to manually select the CONFIG_HZ
> will be lost, but maybe it is not that bad
> at all

CONFIG_HZ is just a short term hack to placate people who insist on a
tick rate lower than 1000 but can't wait for dynamic tick to be ready.
Once dynamic tick is merged then CONFIG_HZ will need to go away. We
don't impose arbitrary restrictions on the period of the soundcard
interrupt, I don't see why the PIT should be any different.

I would be quite disappointed if dynamic tick does not get merged for
2.6.14.

Lee