Re: Multiple virtual address mapping for the same code on IA-64 linux kernel.

From: vamsi krishna
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 16:28:28 EST

Hello All,

Really thankful for your inputs!

> Itanium instruction set is not as compact as some other architectures,
> so the same program will typically require more bytes of code.

I stopped the program on both amd64 machine and ia64 machine and
grepped the values from /proc/<>/status and found the following.

<----Linux IPF----------->
VmSize: 126304 kB
VmLck: 0 kB
VmRSS: 6352 kB
VmData: 19696 kB
VmStk: 16 kB
VmExe: 97760 kB
VmLib: 3152 kB
<------------------------>

<------AMD64------------->
VmSize: 100432 kB
VmLck: 0 kB
VmRSS: 2828 kB
VmData: 24428 kB
VmStk: 264 kB
VmExe: 62848 kB
VmLib: 3048 kB

Seems like most of core size(VmSize) on ipf (126MB) is coming from the
code size(VmExe) i.e 97MB. While the code size is just 62MB on amd64.

Looks like IA-64 wastes a lot of VM due to big instruction sizes, so
big instruction sizes will improve performance ? compared small
instruction sizes? , but fetching big instructions surely takes time
compared to small, this may be the reason why amd64 is the fasttest
64-bit process ?

Thanks a lot!
Vamsi