PROBLEM: blocking read on socket repeatedly returns EAGAIN

From: Kern Sibbald
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 08:20:31 EST

A read() on a TCP/IP socket, which should block returns -1 with errno=EAGAIN

Unless I am mistaken, the read() should block as the socket is active with no
problems. The only "unusual" items are that I have set the network buffer
size to 32K (32 * 1024), IPTOS_THROUGHPUT, and keepalive. In addition, I put
a lot of data into the write side of the socket, then do the read(). The
other end of the socket is perfectly alive, but does not read() the data I
have written, nor does it write() anything. When my read() is issued, I
expect it to block, but it immediately returns with -1 and errno set to
EAGAIN. If the read() is re-issued, a CPU intensive loop results as long as
the other end does not read() the data written to the socket. This is a
multi-threaded program, but the other threads are all blocked on something.

Kernel: Fedora FC4
Linux version 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4smp (bhcompile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc
version 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8)) #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 01:30:13 EDT 2005

This problem occurs in my network backup program, Bacula, so it would be a
fair amount of work to send you a program that shows this behavior.

Best regards,

Kern