Re: [RFC] [patch 0/39] remap_file_pages protection support, try 2

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 15:53:11 EST

Blaisorblade <blaisorblade@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Ok, I've been working for the past two weeks learning well the Linux VM,
> understanding the Ingo's remap_file_pages protection support and its various
> weakness (due to lack of time on his part), and splitting and finishing it.

I'm not sure remap_file_pages was ever intended to be more integrated.
It pretty much always was a Oracle specific performance hack. The problem
with making it more powerful is that it will become more invasive then
(like your patchbomb shows) and that will make it a bigger maintenance
issue longer term and complicate all of VM. And it's probably not
worth doing all that.

So in short I think it's better to keep it into its corner with minimum
functionality and let it not expand to other parts.

-Andi