Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 16:56:20 EST

On Monday, 1 of August 2005 22:34, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Sunday, 31 of July 2005 01:09, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > Linus has apparently dropped that patch for yenta, but in case it is
> > > reintroduced in the future you will probably need a patch to make the network
> > > driver cooperate. I'll try to prepare one tomorrow, if I can, but I have no hardware
> > > to test it.
> >
> > The patch follows. It compiles and should work, though I haven't tested it.
>
> Thanks for making the effort, Rafael,
> but I'm afraid your patch does not solve it.
>
> Prior to -rc4, or in current -git which has the yenta patch reverted,
> my laptop manages APM resume from RAM with the following 8 messages
> (I won't complain that it could list even more permutations!)
>
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:1f.1
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:00.0
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:00.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1f.1
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:01.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:01.1
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:01.1
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:01.0
>
> Unpatched -rc4 locks up on resume, showing none of those messages.
> -rc4 with your drivers/net/3c59x.c patch locks up on resume,
> after showing just the first four of those messages.

Thanks for testing. The results you observe mean that the problem is
in fact more complicated than I thought. It seems to make up a good
test case but I wouldn't like to bother you any more. :-)

> Whatever, I very much share the position Linus has expressed so
> forcefully: it's foolish suddenly to demand changes in an indeterminate
> number of drivers (surely yenta and 3c59x aren't the end of it?),
> especially in the final days leading up to a release.

Fully agreed.

> I surely would not have asked him to revert the yenta patch, nor would
> he have done so (thank you, Linus), if my machine were the only problem.
> It's very easy for me to carry my own patches to get working, but we
> fear the trouble seen here gives a foretaste of others' trouble if
> the changes were to remain in the release.

Indeed.

Greets,
Rafael

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.