Re: kernel guide to space

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 16:06:57 EST

> > 3c. * in types
> > Leave space between name and * in types.
> > Multiple * dont need additional space between them.
> >
> > struct foo **bar;
> >
> Don't put spaces between `*' and the name when declaring variables,
> even if it's not a double pointer. int * foo; is ugly. Common
> convention is int *foo;

The "Leave space between name and *" is confusing. Does 'name'
refer to the type or variable. I hope Michael was not recommending:

char * p;

How about saying:

Do not leave a space between a * and the following
variable name, nor between multiple *, when used
to declare pointers:

char *p;
struct foo **bar;

--