Re: PATCH: IDE - sensible probing for PCI systems

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 17:52:03 EST

On Iau, 2005-06-23 at 19:22, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Besides, does a modern i386 really require them? DOS compatibility is no
> longer an issue for commodity hardware and the ISA bridge is gone.

Untrue on both counts

> Apparently the only legacy device still not replaced by anything else is
> the RTC, which is rather surprising as there seems to be a lot of
> reasonable alternatives for I2C available these days and i386 boxes have
> had I2C for quite a while now.

DMA controller, floppy controller, keyboard, serial, mouse, parallel,
some video ports, random other objects on the lpc bus, miscellaneous
motherboard gunge.

> Both IDE and video are distinct PCI devices these days, so there is no
> need for them to hide their decoded address ranges. I've thought that has
> been sorted out.

We still support older machines that are pre PCI even. Most PC systems
also have ranges of non-PCI decoded space that appears in no PCI bar.

Alan