Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Michael Dreher
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 16:03:27 EST

>>> Not everyone will want
>>> to reformat at once, but as the reiser4 code matures and proves itself
>>> (even more than it already has),
>>
>> I for one have seen mainly people with wild claims that it will make
>> their machines much faster, and coming back later asking how they can
>> recover their thrashed partitions...
>
> Then please show us some Links/Message-IDs to such postings.
> I'd like to read them.

Here you are....

The following happened to me with reiserfs as it was shipped with
suse 9.1:

dreher@euler03:~/mytex/konstanz/wohnung> ls
auto makler2.aux makler2.log makler2.tex makler.aux makler.log
swk.eps unilogo.eps
briefkpf.tex makler2.dvi makler2.ps makler3.tex makler.dvi makler.tex
unikopf.tex
dreher@euler03:~/mytex/konstanz/wohnung> rm *.aux *.log
rm: cannot remove `makler2.log': No such file or directory
dreher@euler03:~/mytex/konstanz/wohnung> ls
auto briefkpf.tex makler2.dvi makler2.ps makler2.tex makler3.tex
makler.dvi makler.tex swk.eps unikopf.tex unilogo.eps
dreher@euler03:~/mytex/konstanz/wohnung> uname -a
Linux euler03 2.6.5-7.108-smp #1 SMP Wed Aug 25 13:34:40 UTC 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
dreher@euler03:~/mytex/konstanz/wohnung> date
Tue Sep 21 13:15:45 CEST 2004

Note the line "rm: cannot remove `makler2.log': No such file or directory"

There was no data loss, but such a bug should not happen.
I never had similar experiences with ext3.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this behavior.

> Powerloss, unpluging the Disk while writing, full filesystem,
> heavy use : No problems with reiser4.. It *is* stable.

My impression: reiser3 is not 100% stable, but quite stable,
written by someone who asks for "review by benchmark".

Michael