Re: [ltp] Re: IBM HDAPS Someone interested?

From: Eric Piel
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 15:28:38 EST

06/23/2005 02:53 PM, Alejandro Bonilla wrote/a Ãcrit:
Well, in the changelog of the embedded controller firmware (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/1uhj07us.txt) there is:
- (New) Support for IBM Hard Disk Active Protection System.

I would conclude that the embedded controller is involved with the HDAPS!

Just my two cents.

Eric

OK, awesome. This gives us pretty much a where to go from now.

Should the IBM-ACPI project have anything to do with this? I mean, we should, or could be getting more -vvv information from ecdump or the fact that because this is attached to the embedded controller makes things harder?

Just to add a few more cents, googling around I found that Paul Sladen has already been looking for some info on the chip. Started to RE the windows driver, this kind of info _might_ be useful :
Windows drivers read in 28-bytes via an IOCTL(0x733fc) on "\ShockMgr" . (See shockprf.sys)

http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/accelerometer.html
http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/aps/

Eric (who is looking forward playing Neverball the Right Way (tm) ;-) )

PS: I don't know Paul Sladen's address and couldn't find it on his webpage. Hopping this email address will do it anyway.