Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Adam Kropelin
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 23:29:22 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
git commit --figure-out-for-me-what-files-changed

Well, it _does_ do that. That's what the "git status" thing does, and
look at the initial commit message comments that it prepares for you: it
tells you which files are modified but haven't been marked for check-in
etc.

But the thing is, you need to have a graphical tool for that. I don't
want to have some silly command line that asks for each modified file
whether you want to include that file in the commit or not.

I know I shouldn't invoke this particular acronym, but I rather like CVS's approach. If the user does not specify any files on the command line, assume he wants to check in everything that has changed (added and removed files excluded). When you see the initial commit message you can review the list of affected files and you can always abort and specify files explictly if you realize you want to exclude some.

I like that method because it gives you a kick in the pants for having mixed multiple unrelated changes in your working directory. "Oh, you were lazy and changed six unrelated things without comitting, eh? You will now pay for your lack of rigor by typing filenames..." On the flip side, you get rewarded with less typing if you keep your working directory clean.

--Adam