Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 22:07:44 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
What I'm saying is that for a tagged release, that really translates to
"please pull tag xyz from repo abc" and the tools like git-ssh-pull will just do the right thing: they'll pull the tag itself _and_ they'll pull the objects it points to.

Yes, everything does the right there here.

Of course, right now "git fetch" is hardcoded to always write FETCH_HEAD (not the tag name), but I'm saying ythat _literally_ you can do this already:

git fetch repo-name tags/xyz &&
( cat .git/FETCH_HEAD > .git/tags/xyz )

and it should do exactly what you want. Hmm?

No, not at all. This sub-thread is all about tags/ dir updates. Users should be able to do

git pull-more rsync://...

and get ALL of .git/refs/tags/* that have appeared since their last update.

Concrete example: I have a git tree on local disk. I need to find out where, between 2.6.12-rc1 and 2.6.12, a driver broke. This requires that I have -ALL- linux-2.6.git/refs/tags on disk already, so that I can bounce quickly and easily between tags.

It is valuable to have a local copy of -all- tags, -before- you need them. That is why people like me and GregKH use rsync directly. We want EVERYTHING in the kernel.org linux-2.6.git tree, not just what we know we need right now.

Jeff