Re: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (kexec/kdump)

From: Vara Prasad
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 20:01:49 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Gerrit Huizenga <gh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kexec/kdump has a chance of working reliably.

IOW: Kexec/kdump has a chance of not working reliably.

Worried.

I understand your concerns based on the device shutdown issues but these are not fundamental design problems that we can not solve. We should be able to fix them either through generic solutions to a class of devices or one of kind for special devices. As you know we are engaging in those discussions and providing fixes.

I think all the alternatives out there are less reliable than Kdump based on the design. Vendors are currently shipping other solutions since they didn't have any better alternatives until now. The existing solutions in the two major distro's doesn't work lot of times. I don't know what percentage of times they work as i only get involved when they don't work, but i can certainly tell you they don't work many a times. It is very embarrassing to tell the customer sorry we couldn't get dump can you try reproducing the problem again. At least two major distros expressed interest in replacing their current solutions with kdump once it matures. As you are well aware we are doing testing with as many configurations as we can to iron out the bugs. Hope this addresses some of your concerns.